Monday, January 31, 2011

Chicken Divan

I had no idea this recipe had a legit name, but the more I looked up recipes for Chicken Divan the more I realized this was pretty much what my mother called Broccoli-Chicken Casserole growing up. I decided I would go ahead and give the old stand-by a try with a few tweaks.

Chicken Divan
Serves 4

2 chicken breasts, cooked, shredded
16 oz package of frozen chopped broccoli
1 can Cream of ______ Soup (you can use chicken, mushroom, etc.)
1/3 cup skim milk
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp Worcestershire
8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
12 Ritz crackers, crumbled
1/4 cup Italian bread crumbs
Salt and pepper, to taste

  1. Preheat the oven to 350.
  2. In a casserole dish (I used my 2.5 quart dish) put the broccoli on the bottom layer, then your cheese, then the shredded chicken.
  3. In a bowl mix together canned soup, milk, lemon juice, curry powder, garlic powder, Worcestershire, salt and pepper. Adjust seasonings to your liking and pour over the top of the casserole.
  4. Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
  5. Sprinkle crumbled crackers and breadcrumbs over the top of the casserole and return to the oven.
  6. Bake, uncovered, for an additional 20 minutes.
Next time I will play with the seasonings a bit more. The curry powder really made this interesting, but I think it could have used a bit more. It was definitely a good start to a future pantry staple.

No comments:

Post a Comment