I had no idea this recipe had a legit name, but the more I looked up recipes for Chicken Divan the more I realized this was pretty much what my mother called Broccoli-Chicken Casserole growing up. I decided I would go ahead and give the old stand-by a try with a few tweaks.
2 chicken breasts, cooked, shredded
16 oz package of frozen chopped broccoli
1 can Cream of ______ Soup (you can use chicken, mushroom, etc.)
1/3 cup skim milk
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp Worcestershire
8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
12 Ritz crackers, crumbled
1/4 cup Italian bread crumbs
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- In a casserole dish (I used my 2.5 quart dish) put the broccoli on the bottom layer, then your cheese, then the shredded chicken.
- In a bowl mix together canned soup, milk, lemon juice, curry powder, garlic powder, Worcestershire, salt and pepper. Adjust seasonings to your liking and pour over the top of the casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle crumbled crackers and breadcrumbs over the top of the casserole and return to the oven.
- Bake, uncovered, for an additional 20 minutes.
Next time I will play with the seasonings a bit more. The curry powder really made this interesting, but I think it could have used a bit more. It was definitely a good start to a future pantry staple.