This was supposed to be dinner on Monday, but after having a rough day at work I decided not to put Hubby through a new recipe, but instead made him something tried and true. Tuesday there was no turning back. I have no idea what this should be called, but Hubby vetoed "Fruity Chicken"...I had been collecting ideas for this recipe for a while and this is what I came up with:
Tropical Chicken with Poppyseeds
4 chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp dried, chopped onions
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup apricot preserves
1/4 cup finely diced pineapple
3 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp poppyseeds
1 Tbsp butter
2 tsp corn starch (dissolved in a few tablespoons of water)
Salt and pepper, to taste
Ground ginger, to taste
- Brown chicken in a large skillet with some olive oil.
- Add in vinegar, onions and garlic, cook about one minute so the vinegar can reduce a bit.
- Add in chicken stock, apricot preserves, pineapple, honey, soy sauce, and poppyseeds.
- Once simmering, add in butter and season with ginger, salt and pepper.
- Reduce for a few minutes and then stir in the dissolved corn starch to help thicken up the sauce to your desired consistency.
I served this with quinoa that I cooked up in chicken stock with some onions, frozen peas, and cranberries. This is a new adventure into the world of the super grain for us...hoping for some tastiness in the future.