Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie

For Christmas I got a new pie dish...a nice one, we're talking legit pottery, not see-through glass. Very exciting stuff. To christen the new pan I decided to make some chicken pot pie. I tried this recipe a few weeks ago in a sort of deconstructed manner which, despite one fatal flaw, turned out pretty delicious. I decided to give it another go in a slightly more traditional one-crust chicken pot pie construction for my second attempt (I'll describe how to make both attempts...including a hint as to my fatal flaw...) Very happy with the results and pleased with myself for not resorting to condensed soup as an ingredient which you all know is one of my go-to pantry items which I am going to reduce our consumption of during 2011 if at all possible.

Chicken Pot Pie

1 roll of Pillsbury Crescent Recipe Creations dough
2 chicken breasts, cooked and chopped (on round two I deboned a rotisserie chicken)
2 cups of frozen mixed vegetables
4 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp flour
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1 small can sliced mushrooms, drained
Garlic Powder/Garlic Salt, Italian Seasoning, Salt, and Pepper, to taste

For the Pot Pie Filling:
  • In a large saucepan, melt the butter and cook flour until bubbly.
  • Add in broth and milk while wisking and cook until sauce thickens.
  • Add in the cheese and stir until combined.
  • Add in chicken, veggies, and mushrooms and cook until the veggies are heated through.
  • Season to taste. (My go-to "something is missing" dash of Worcestershire comes into play here if that strikes your fancy.)
For "traditional" one-crust Pot Pie:
  • Preheat the oven to 375
  • Pour the pot pie filling into a greased pie pan.
  • Cover with the crescent roll sheet (you can make shapes or whatever you want to cover the pie evenly. I tried lattice once and it was kind of a disaster...could have just been me though.)
  • Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
For "deconstructed" Pot Pie:
  • Preheat the oven to 375.
  • Take 4 6-oz ramekins and place them upside-down on a cookie sheet.
  • Grease the ramekins thoroughly.
  • Cut the sheet of crescent dough into 4 squares and place over the ramekins and shape to form a bowl.
  • Bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
  • Once the mini bowls have cooled enough to touch, place on a plate and fill the "bowl" with the pot pie mixture.
Sadly my silicone whisk has died. I can't say I'm too sad about this though as it was quite large to the point where it was barely useful. Hopefully this time when I go to purchase a replacement I will be able to find something a little more normal looking...until then, a rubber spatula worked just find to make the white sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment