I absolutely love potatoes au gratin (and yes, I believe they are different/better than scalloped potatoes --for starters, so much less accurate chopping involved!) and ever since seeing this recipe on-line I have been dying to try it. Tonight was the night as I was already craving ham and what goes better with ham than cheesy potatoes, seriously.
Potatoes au Gratin
Adapted from The Pioneer Woman
4 whole Russet Potatoes, Scrubbed Clean
2 Tablespoons Butter, Softened
1-½ cup Half & Half
½ cups Skim Milk
2 Tablespoons Flour
4 cloves Garlic, Finely Minced
1 teaspoon Salt
Freshly Ground Pepper, to taste
1 cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Freshly Grated
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Smear softened butter all over the bottom of a baking dish.
- Slice potatoes, then cut slices into fourths.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together cream, milk, flour, minced garlic, salt, and plenty of freshly ground black pepper.
- Place 1/3 of the potatoes in the bottom of the baking dish. Pour 1/3 of the cream mixture over the potatoes.
- Repeat this two more times, ending with the cream mixture. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are golden brown and really bubbling.
- Add grated cheese to the top of the potatoes and bake for 3 to 5 more minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Allow to stand for a few minutes before serving.