Tex-Mex Baked Ziti
10 oz ziti/penne
1 lb. ground beef
1 medium onion
2 Tbsp. chili powder
Cumin (to taste)
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 can of diced green chilies (drained)
1 (8 oz) can of tomato sauce
1 cup of salsa
2 cups of shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Brown the ground beef with the onion (I only had about 1/3 c. of frozen chopped onions on hand--my secret lifesaver by the way, shhhhh--and made up the difference with a few tablespoons of dried minced onion).
- Boil water and pre-cook pasta, drain.
- Add chili powder, cumin (we like our chili smokey, but this was not called for in the original recipe), diced tomatoes, chilies, tomato sauce, and salsa and cook to combine for about 5 minutes.
- Mix the pasta and sauce together and pour into a greased casserole dish (or 13x9 baking pan) and cover with cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or until nice and bubbly.