Thursday, January 21, 2010

Baked Ziti with a Tex-Mex Twist

So, this next new recipe attempt was taken from the box of my CostCo-sized case of Del Monte diced tomatoes (I think they called it Chili Pasta Bake or something similar). Do not judge me by my ridiculousness. Since I love Tex-Mex and also love pasta of any kind, I thought this would be a great idea. I had just about everything on the list in my pantry/freezer so I thought I would give it a whirl with a few adjustments and I think it turned out pretty decent.

Tex-Mex Baked Ziti
(Serves 6)

10 oz ziti/penne
1 lb. ground beef
1 medium onion
2 Tbsp. chili powder
Cumin (to taste)
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 can of diced green chilies (drained)
1 (8 oz) can of tomato sauce
1 cup of salsa
2 cups of shredded Mexican cheese blend
  1. Brown the ground beef with the onion (I only had about 1/3 c. of frozen chopped onions on hand--my secret lifesaver by the way, shhhhh--and made up the difference with a few tablespoons of dried minced onion).
  2. Boil water and pre-cook pasta, drain.
  3. Add chili powder, cumin (we like our chili smokey, but this was not called for in the original recipe), diced tomatoes, chilies, tomato sauce, and salsa and cook to combine for about 5 minutes.
  4. Mix the pasta and sauce together and pour into a greased casserole dish (or 13x9 baking pan) and cover with cheese.
  5. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or until nice and bubbly.
Super simple and super flavorful. I think this might just be a keeper!

No comments:

Post a Comment