This soup* was sort of amazing...and I can't wait to make it again. I made it for lunch with my gals and we had some cheese bread from Whole Foods that was sort of amazing along side. Granted, me and my gals rarely make poor food decisions ;-)
Mac & Cheese Soup
Adapted from Gina's Skinny Recipes
Estimated Point Value: 6 pts.
4 oz Barilla Plus elbow macaroni
1 1/2 cups onion, chopped
Small handful of baby carrots, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp light butter
2 tbsp flour
2 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 cup skim milk
1/2 tsp dry mustard
salt and fresh pepper to taste
10 oz broccoli florets, chopped into small pieces
6 oz 2% shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- Cook macaroni to al dente using the package instructions, drain and set aside.
- In a large soup pot, melt butter and saute onion, carrot, celery, and garlic until softened.
- Whisk in flour, dry mustard, salt and pepper and allow to cook out for a few minutes before pouring in milk and stock while constantly stirring/whisking.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat, cover, and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add in the broccoli and allow to cook for about 5 minutes (or more if you want softer broccoli).
- Add in both types of cheese, stirring til smooth, and adjust salt and pepper, to taste.
- Remove from heat and stir in the macaroni right before serving (so they don't get too mushy).
*Yes, I realize I'm posting a lot of soup recipes...I love soup and I sort of missed out on National Soup Month and have been making it up to myself lately. I also realize that I've been neglecting to take photos of my recipes which was a goal for the year....sometimes a girl just wants to eat all the things...