Saturday, February 11, 2012

Broccoli Cheese Soup

So I have made another attempt at Broccoli Cheese soup from my first. This was supposed to be a "skinny" version and while the flavor was pretty good I just couldn't get behind the consistency. I got an immersion blender as a birthday gift from my Hubby and wanted to try it out...I may have over blended the soup? Perhaps if I hadn't blended it quite so much it would have stayed more liquid-y and less "mashed potato" consistency? For the points it's definitely worth a second look in the future sometime!

Broccoli Cheese Soup
Serves 6
Estimated Point Value: 3.5pts

1 onion, diced
1 handful of baby carrots, diced
1 rib of celery, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp margarine
2 Tbsp flour
3 1/2 cups chicken stock*
1 cup skim milk
2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and diced
4 cups (~10 oz) broccoli florets
6 oz reduced fat cheddar cheese
2 slices 2% pepperjack cheese
1 Tbsp Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper, to taste
Pinch of nutmeg
  1. In a large soup pot melt butter and saute onion, carrots, celery, and garlic until translucent.
  2. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth then whisk in the chicken stock and milk.
  3. Bring to a boil and add potatoes then cook, covered, for about 15 minutes (or until potatoes are tender).
  4. Add in the broccoli and Parmesan cheese and cook uncovered for about 5 minutes or until the broccoli is tender.
  5. Add the remaining cheeses and stir until melted.
  6. Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until it reaches your desired consistency.
  7. Adjust salt and pepper to taste and then serve!
*I had to add an extra cup of chicken stock from the original recipe to get a more smooth consistency. I did this during the blending step, but I think it would be more useful earlier on and would help you decide what thickness you want to blend the soup when it comes time for that...

No comments:

Post a Comment