Broccoli Cheese Soup
Adapted from Gina's Skinny Recipes
Estimated Point Value: 3.5pts
1 onion, diced
1 handful of baby carrots, diced
1 rib of celery, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp margarine
2 Tbsp flour
3 1/2 cups chicken stock*
1 cup skim milk
2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and diced
4 cups (~10 oz) broccoli florets
6 oz reduced fat cheddar cheese
2 slices 2% pepperjack cheese
1 Tbsp Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper, to taste
Pinch of nutmeg
- In a large soup pot melt butter and saute onion, carrots, celery, and garlic until translucent.
- Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth then whisk in the chicken stock and milk.
- Bring to a boil and add potatoes then cook, covered, for about 15 minutes (or until potatoes are tender).
- Add in the broccoli and Parmesan cheese and cook uncovered for about 5 minutes or until the broccoli is tender.
- Add the remaining cheeses and stir until melted.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste and then serve!
*I had to add an extra cup of chicken stock from the original recipe to get a more smooth consistency. I did this during the blending step, but I think it would be more useful earlier on and would help you decide what thickness you want to blend the soup when it comes time for that...