Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Stuffed Pepper Soup

BFF-M loves stuffed peppers. I have not been able to perfect them (probably due to my inability to trust ground beef baking and meat thermometer, or my irrational fears of food borne illnesses instilled in me by my middle school Home Economics teacher (not Mrs. Morral, the other one which I cannot remember her name...the one that made her own clothes...) you know, or the fact that meatloaf sort of grosses me out)...BUT I came across a recipe for Stuffed Pepper Soup and knew we had to try it...my love for soup combined with her love for stuffed peppers, this bad boy had WIN written all over it. I forgot to ask for her "rating" (since Hubby isn't a huge soup person so I generally don't let him vote on soups) so I'm guessing here...but I think it was most definitely a keeper, I mean, she did take home leftovers ;-)

Stuffed Pepper Soup
Serves 6
Estimated Point Value: 5pts.

1lb lean ground beef
1 small green pepper, chopped
1 small red pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cans diced tomatoes (with liquid)
1 can tomato sauce
2 cups chicken stock
1/2 tsp dried marjoram
1 tsp Italian seasoning blend
Salt and pepper, to taste
3 cups cooked brown rice
  1. In a large soup pot, brown onion, garlic, and ground beef together.
  2. Add in peppers and allow to soften for a few minutes.
  3. Add the rest of the ingredients (other than the rice) and simmer together for at least a half hour.
  4. To serve, place 1/2 cup of the rice in the bottom of a shallow bowl and top with 1 cup to 1 1/2 cup of soup.
Super easy and super tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment