Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Sun-Dried Tomato and Mushroom Chicken

Since embarking on this adventure I have taken to cutting recipes out of various magazines and you would be surprised (or maybe you wouldn't, but I was) just how many recipes are printed in food related advertisements. I have been noticing that I have clipped several of these and put them in my "Recipes to Try" file-box (yes, I organize my yet-to-be-tried recipes...) I am guessing this is because of their simple, non-intimidating nature. This next dish got a "You're really on a roll!" review from Hubby and a place in the permanent rotation.

Sun-Dried Tomato and Mushroom Chicken
Adapted from Campbell's Kitchen

Serves 3

3 tablespoons olive oil

3 chicken breasts

1 shallot, finely chopped

4 oz Mushrooms, sliced

1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup

3/4 cup water

1/4 cup thinly-sliced sun-dried tomatoes

1 tablespoon red wine vinegar

2 tsp dried basil

Egg Noodles

Parmesan cheese


  1. Heat 2 Tbsp of oil in a large skillet and brown chicken on both sides (about 10 minutes). Remove from skillet and set aside (cover with foil to keep warm).
  2. Add remaining Tbsp of oil to the skillet and sauté shallot and mushrooms until tender.
  3. Stir in soup, water, tomatoes, vinegar, and basil.
  4. Once this combines, return chicken to the skillet and reduce heat to simmer.
  5. Cook until sauce thickens and chicken is cooked through (~10-15 minutes depending on the consistency you like your sauce).
  6. Serve with egg noodles and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese on top.
This could probably be made with a homemade alternative to the condensed soup, but every time I try that particular substitute I fail...someday I will master that healthier alternative, but until then, I just try and use the lower sodium, lower fat varieties that are out there to hopefully attempt in making a somewhat healthier dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment