Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Baked "Ziti"

Okay, so this is really baked penne vs. baked ziti since I always have Barilla Plus Penne on hand (Barilla Plus is by far my favorite "healthy" pasta when compared to most of the whole wheat products on the market these days.) I found a recipe on some website years ago, but have since made some changes and this is my current version:

7-8 oz Barilla Plus Penne (half a box)
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/2 lb. ground beef
1 jar (24-26 oz) spaghetti sauce
3 oz provolone cheese, sliced
3 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese, grated
Italian Seasoning, to taste

  1. Preheat oven to 350 and bring a pot of water up to a boil.

  2. Prepare penne following instructions on the box (should be about 8 minutes in the boiling water for it to be al dente) and drain.

  3. Brown onion together with ground beef and add in Italian Seasoning to taste.

  4. Add in jar of spaghetti sauce and simmer for 10-15 minutes.

  5. Grease a 9x9 inch pan.

  6. Layer the following in the greased pan:
    - 1/2 penne
    - Provolone cheese
    - 1/2 sauce
    - 1/2 penne
    - Mozzerella cheese
    - 1/2 sauce
    - Parmesan cheese

  7. Bake for 30 minutes or until cheeses are melted.
Obviously since I'm me, I used a little more cheese than I have let on...we like it cheesy around here!

No comments:

Post a Comment