This is my current favorite strawberry shortcake recipe. It is far superior to my previous shortcake endeavors and will probably be sticking around for quite a while. I adapted it from a Martha Stewart recipe for Strawberry Cake (which is also delicious as is, but I like it in shortcake form a lot better!)
Adapted from Martha Stewart
6 Tbsp butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 lbs. strawberries, hulled and quartered
2 Tbsp sugar
Whipped Cream/Ice Cream
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- In a bowl toss the strawberries together with 2 Tbsp of sugar, cover, and place in the fridge.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt into a small bowl.
- Beat the butter and 1 cup of sugar together using a stand mixer.
- Add in the egg, milk, and vanilla beating until combined.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients.
- Pour batter into a greased 9 inch glass pie pan. (Optional - Sprinkle with Sugar in the Raw or turbinado sugar if desired.)
- Bake for 10 minutes then reduce the temperature to 300 degrees and bake for an additional 45 minutes (you may have to cover the cake with foil to avoid the top getting too browned...I usually do this when there's 20 minutes left on my timer.)
- Once cooled, slice and top with strawberries, whipped cream, ice cream, etc. and enjoy!