Sunday, May 22, 2011

Baked Onion Rings

I ask you, who doesn't love onion rings?! When I saw this recipe pop up via a mom-blogger I follow on Twitter I knew I had to give it a try. Tonight's dinner was steaks on the grill a la Hubby and I figured what more perfect meal to test out these beauties! While you can't really pick these bad boys up, they most definitely hit the old onion rings spot for sure.

Baked Onion Rings
Adapted from SkinnyTaste.com
Serves 2

1 medium onion
2 cups skim milk
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
1/2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
Salt and pepper, to taste
Olive oil spray

  1. Mix 2 cups of milk with 2 Tbsp of lemon juice and set aside.
  2. Slice onion and separate into rings. Lay out in a shallow dish.
  3. Pour milk over the onions.
  4. Cover and refrigerate for a few hours (I did mine for 3 hours).
  5. Preheat oven to 450.
  6. In another shallow dish, mix together the remaining dry ingredients.
  7. Using tongs, remove the onion rings from the milk and coat with the breadcrumb mixture. Place onto baking sheets lined with foil in a single layer.
  8. Spray the onion rings with olive oil spray and bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment