The Pioneer Woman posted a recipe for Sour Cream Noodle Bake last week that I thought I would like to try out. After thinking about it a while and getting some feedback from my friend over at Hooked to Books who attempted the recipe the day it was posted, I decided to try and mash-up that recipe with one I had tried a few months ago for Crock Pot Pizza which made a ton of food, but the leftovers ended up being more of a casserole than a layered dish...which for me really just meant that the pepperoni got unevenly distributed and that was sad not to have pepperoni in every bite 0=)
Also, this recipe makes me want a shallow baking dish that is not a pan pie...but I used my deep dish pie pan as a decent substitute since I'm sort of in love with it.
Sour Cream Noodle Bake
Adapted from The Pioneer Woman
1 lb. ground beef
15 oz can tomato sauce
6 oz egg noodles
1/2 c. sour cream
1 c. cottage cheese
1/4 c. green onion, chopped
2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1 oz pepperoni
4 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
Italian Seasoning, salt and pepper, to taste
- Brown the beef in a large skillet with some Italian Seasoning and then add in the tomato sauce.
- Cook egg noodles according to the package instructions, drain.
- In a large bowl combine the noodles, sour cream, cottage cheese, parsley, and green onion. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a lightly greased baking dish layer:
- 1/2 of the noodle mixture
- pepperoni (I only made a single layer over the noodles, you could add more if you liked)
-1/2 of the sauce
-1/2 of the cheese
- Bake for 20 minutes at 350.
The pie pan turned out to be a great idea although the whole dish got a little runny which would probably be remedied if the tomato sauce had been allowed to reduce a bit. All in all this turned out great and even Hubby liked it and he's been pretty down on casserole-type dishes of late. Granted the Snickerdoodle Blondies I had waiting for him when he came home from a long day of work (during which he forgot to eat lunch) probably helped ;-)