Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Chicken Enchiladas

I love enchiladas. About a year ago (I couldn't believe it was that long ago when I checked the blog!) I made an attempt at beef enchiladas that turned out pretty amazing, but this time I decided to try out a chicken recipe. I got the bones of this recipe from Annie's Eats, but I made a few changes based on what I had on hand to came up with the following recipe:

Chicken Enchiladas
Adapted from Annie's Eats

1 medium onion, chopped
1 tsp canola oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 Tbsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
1 Tbsp sugar
15 oz can tomato sauce
15 oz can Rotel tomatoes with chilies
1 cup water
1 lb chicken breast
Salt and pepper, to taste
10 6" flour tortillas
8 oz shredded Mexican cheese blend
Cooking spray

  1. In a large, deep skillet (or large sauce pan) cook the onions in oil on medium-high until tender.
  2. Stir in garlic, chili powder, cumin, and sugar.
  3. Add tomato sauce, Rotel, and water and bring to a bubble.
  4. Reduce heat and put chicken breasts into the sauce covering as much of the chicken with the sauce as possible. Cover ad cook on low for 20-30 minutes (or until the chicken is cooked through).
  5. Remove chicken and shred using two fork. Place in a large bowl.
  6. Strain out large pieces of veggies and put into the bowl with the shredded chicken. Keep liquid in a separate container, but add 1/3 cup to the chicken mixture. Also add in 4 oz (about 1 cup) of the shredded cheese.
  7. Preheat your oven to 425 while you assemble the enchiladas.
  8. Grease a 13" x 9" pan with cooking spray.
  9. Take 1/3 of the chicken mixture and wrap it up in a tortilla placing it seam-side down in the dish. I was able to get 10 tortillas into my pan (two rows of five tortillas each) this way.
  10. Spray the top of the tortillas with cooking spray and bake for 8-10 minutes or until they start to lightly brown.
  11. Remove the pan from the oven and reduce the heat to 400.
  12. Pour the enchilada sauce over top, then sprinkle on the rest of the cheese.
  13. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes at 400.
  14. Remove the foil and bake for 5 more minutes or until nice and bubbly.
  15. Let it rest for 5-10 minutes after removing from the oven so you: 1) don't burn your face off, and 2) can get the enchiladas out of the pan without too much of a disaster on your hands.
I've been slacking and forgetting to ask Hubby his ratings lately (it all started with an unfortunate beef brisket situation - during dinner I asked for his rating and he said, "I've had a rough day, you don't want me to rate things today, ask me tomorrow.") but he was so excited about this meal I was in the clear ;-) I served it with Spanish Rice mixed with some corn. You can totally serve two of these bad boys as a meal, but since we're ridiculous, we each had three.

No comments:

Post a Comment