Rainy days pretty much ensure that I will crave soup and will give me a thumbs up from Hubby which is much appreciated since he's not quite as big of a soup lover. A discussion with my college BFFs lead to the construction of this recipe...
Loaded Baked Potato Soup
2.5 lbs Russet potatoes, washed and cubed
2 stalks of celery
1 small onion
2 cloves garlic
1/4 tsp Paprika
1/4 ts Cumin
1 tsp Thyme
4 Tbsp Butter
1 can evaporated milk
Salt and Pepper, to taste
8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
2 or 3 green onions, sliced (for garnish)
6 slices of cooked bacon, crumbled (for garnish)
Sour cream (for garnish)
Shredded cheddar cheese (for garnish)
- In the food processor, mince the celery, onion, and garlic together.
- In a soup pot, saute together the celery, onion, and garlic in a little EVOO.
- Add in potatoes and spices then cover with water.
- Bring pot up to a boil and cook until potatoes are tender.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese and evaporated milk. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with crumbled bacon, sour cream, green onion, and/or more cheese =)
Now the rating on this is a bit deceiving. I was a huge fan; however, Hubby was not. I will admit this was about 10xs better the second (third, etc.) day than right after making it even though I was skeptical about that with the cheese and milk situation. I ate about 3 bowls a day until it was gone and will definitely make it again and freeze it for lunches for myself this winter. I would say that the bacon really helps this out a lot...and I would not be sad at all to add more bacon, or even to attempt making the bacon in a skillet and use some of the drippings in the place of the olive oil to give the actual soup a bit of a boost.
As with most things in life, bacon makes it better =)