3 cups apples, peeled and chopped
3/4 cup cooking oil (I had to use a combo of veggie and canola oil)
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
Dash of nutmeg
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp milk
- Mix together the oil and sugar using a stand mixer or hand mixer until combined
- Add in egg and vanilla.
- Add in about half the flour, the cinnamon, baking soda, and nutmeg until almost combined then add in the rest of the flour.
- Using a spoon add in the apples (the batter will be very thick, but try and get the apples and batter pretty evenly distributed).
- Grease a 9 x 9 inch pan and pour the batter into the pan using a spatula to make sure the batter spreads evenly.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes
- Allow to cool.
- Before serving, heat the topping ingredients together on the stove until bubbly.
- Using a skewer (or in my case the handle of my wooden spoon stirring the bubbly sugary goodness from Step 8), poke holes all over the cooled cake.
- Pour the topping over the cake and allow it to soak in before spooning out servings (along with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream...oh my!)
This passed the Hubby "You Can Serve This To Other People" Test which my friends, is quite a feat indeed =) I may or may not have also had a slice for breakfast the next day...