Friday, September 17, 2010

Taco Soup

Taco soup is delicious. Let's just put it out there. I got this recipe from a friend who made it for us after we came home from the hospital, baby in tow. I swiped the recipe from her before it could be thrown away and have been making it obsessively ever since. It can be made stove top, or crock pot...and is pretty customizable. Below is my favorite variety =)

Taco Soup
Serves 6
Estimated Point Value: 6 pts

1 lb ground beef
1 package Taco seasoning
1 small chopped onion
1 can condensed tomato soup (I use a Healthy Request version)
1 1/2 cups water (I usually just fill up the empty tomato soup can twice with water...gets out the extra tomato goodness too!)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 cup frozen corn

  1. Brown together the beef, onion, and Taco seasoning (some days when I'm feeling "smoky" I add in extra cumin) in a dutch oven, stock pot, or soup pot (depending on your level of pan-fanciness...me, I have a "soup pot"...someday I shall own a dutch oven...a pretty one...)
  2. Add in the remaining ingredients and stir.
  3. Simmer on stove top until you just can't stand it any longer.
  4. Serve with chips, sour cream, shredded cheese...go nuts! (All "toppings" are additional points...my estimated point value is for the base soup only).
I have made this with kidney beans also...they tend to hold up a little better if you want to throw this soup in the crock pot. Either way is delicious and I have a hard time cutting myself off at one bowl...but usually talk myself down by the third...I mean...what!?

No comments:

Post a Comment