After hitting a wall of not being able to consume any more roasted broccoli (Hubby's favorite and pretty much only vegetable) I wanted to try something new with broccoli (we buy broccoli in bulk from CostCo...seriously, we eat A LOT of broccoli) as a side dish to some simple ham steaks. I perused a few of my favorite foodie websites and noticed a lot of broccoli casseroles that were pretty much the same. I decided to take some of the most interesting aspects of each and see what happened with a can of baked beans in the pantry as a back up plan ;-)
Rachael's Broccoli & Rice Casserole
1 lb fresh broccoli
1 cup cooked rice (I used an Uncle Ben's microwave Brown and Wild rice packet)
1 small can of sliced mushrooms, drained
1 small onion, diced
1 cup of milk
1 can cream of chicken soup (or cream of mushroom, whatever you have on hand)
4 oz shredded cheese (I used cheddar)
1 cup dried bread crumbs (or a mixture of bread crumbs and crumbled Ritz crackers)
2 Tbsp butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 and bring a pot of water up to a boil.
- Once water is boiling, cook cut up broccoli for about 5 minutes, remove and drain.
- In a small skillet fry the bacon slices, onion and mushrooms together, remove and put on a paper towel to drain.
- In large bowl mix together milk, soup, and shredded cheese until combined.
- Add in the broccoli, rice, bacon, onion and mushrooms and stir to coat.
- Put the mixture into a casserole dish.
- In a small bowl mix the melted butter and bread crumbs together and pour onto casserole.
- Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes.
Not so bad...a bit crummy...will still take some more attempts to get the seasoning worked out, but it was a nice break from my standard roasted broccoli...a bit heartier to say the very least.