Monday, June 13, 2011

Smokey Bacon and Broccoli Mac and Cheese

As a result of some poor planning on my part I had quite the assortment of leftover ingredients from recipes that never came to fruition. One thing led to another and Smokey Bacon and Broccoli Mac and Cheese was born.

Smokey Bacon and Broccoli Mac and Cheese

12 oz small pasta (mini penne was my choice)
3-4 oz. bacon, cooked and chopped
1 small box frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
4 Tbsp butter
4 Tbsp flour
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 1/2 c milk (I did a skim and whole combo)
4 oz Fontina cheese, grated
4 oz smoked Gouda cheese, grated
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
Pinch cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper, to taste

  1. Preheat oven to 375.
  2. Using a large pot, boil the noodles according to the package instructions for al dente. Strain and set a side reserving pot for later.
  3. In a large sauce pan, melt the butter on medium-high heat.
  4. Whisk in flour and garlic and cook until golden brown, stirring constantly. (A spatula works just fine as I still haven't replaced my silicone whisk so this is my bechamel go-to at the moment.)
  5. Add in milk and continue stirring over medium-high heat until the sauce thickens and bubbles begin to form.
  6. Remove from the heat and add in your spices, bacon, and cheeses stirring until melted.
  7. In the large pot, combine the noodles, broccoli, and cheese mixture then pour into a greased casserole dish (I used a 2 1/2 quart round dish).
  8. Sprinkle with extra grated cheese (optional) and bake for 20-30 minutes or until bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment