Smokey Bacon and Broccoli Mac and Cheese
12 oz small pasta (mini penne was my choice)
3-4 oz. bacon, cooked and chopped
1 small box frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
4 Tbsp butter
4 Tbsp flour
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 1/2 c milk (I did a skim and whole combo)
4 oz Fontina cheese, grated
4 oz smoked Gouda cheese, grated
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
Pinch cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Using a large pot, boil the noodles according to the package instructions for al dente. Strain and set a side reserving pot for later.
- In a large sauce pan, melt the butter on medium-high heat.
- Whisk in flour and garlic and cook until golden brown, stirring constantly. (A spatula works just fine as I still haven't replaced my silicone whisk so this is my bechamel go-to at the moment.)
- Add in milk and continue stirring over medium-high heat until the sauce thickens and bubbles begin to form.
- Remove from the heat and add in your spices, bacon, and cheeses stirring until melted.
- In the large pot, combine the noodles, broccoli, and cheese mixture then pour into a greased casserole dish (I used a 2 1/2 quart round dish).
- Sprinkle with extra grated cheese (optional) and bake for 20-30 minutes or until bubbly.