Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Beef Stew with Ranch Mashed Potatoes

Let's just ignore the fact that I haven't posted a new recipe in ages, okay?

I've been wanting to try this recipe since last winter at some point. I'd been searching for beef stew recipes that I felt would be flavorful enough to counteract Hubby's dislike for your standard-issue beef stew and I think I've got it pretty well ironed-out!


I served this with some steamed green beans because I needed something green and it was gone in seconds. I'll definitely be making this again this fall/winter for sure!

Beef Stew with Ranch Mashed Potatoes
Slightly Adapted from The Pioneer Woman
Serves 6
Estimated Point Value: 8 pts

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp light butter, (Land O'Lakes Light Butter is my favorite)
1 lb stew beef
1 small red onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 oz tomato paste
2 cups beef stock
Worcestershire, to taste
1/4 tsp sugar
1 cup carrots, diced
8 oz mushrooms, small whole or quartered medium sized
~2 lbs red potatoes
5 tsp Ranch Seasoning
1 Tbsp light butter
2 Tbsp light cream cheese
Salt and pepper, to taste

  1. In a large dutch oven heat the olive oil and first tablespoon of butter over medium high heat. 
  2. Brown the stew beef and season with salt and pepper.
  3. Remove the beef from the pan and saute onion and garlic until soft in the deliciousness that the beef leaves behind.
  4. Stir in tomato paste, then add in beef stock, sugar, and a few dashes of Worcestershire, to taste.
  5. Add the beef back into the pot, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 2 hours.
  6. Add in carrots and mushrooms, stirring to combine. Simmer for a half hour, covered.
  7. While the carrots and mushrooms are simmering, prepare mashed potatoes. In a large pot cover potatoes with water and bring to a boil then cook for ~20 minutes or until done.
  8. Drain potatoes and add in butter, cream cheese, and Ranch seasoning (I realize making your own Ranch seasoning is way better for you, but I have yet to find a seasoning combination that I think tastes as good as the classic Hidden Valley variety...it's my cooking fatal flaw, we eat so much ranch I know I should find a healthier alternative...suggestions welcomed.) 
  9. Mash using extra beef broth for liquid if necessary (yes milk is more delicious, but...broth has zero points and we're in diet mode people!)
  10. Serve one serving of the beef stew over one serving of the mashed potatoes in a shallow bowl.
Also this is totally one of my 30-by-30 items so I'm counting it as a double-win!

No comments:

Post a Comment